Coursera Plus Review
Coursera is one of the leaders in the e-learning market. It’s been operating since 2012 and currently has over 90 million students and over 1700 employees. Coursera offers courses from leading universities like Harvard, Stanford, Duke University, The University of Illinois, the University of Michigan, and many others. Meanwhile, the company partners with some of the biggest corporations like Google, IBM, and Meta for course creation.
Read more on What is Coursera?
Coursera has different program types with different fees. There are both free short courses and long pricey programs. There is also a separate subscription option, Coursera plus. Let’s dive deeper into the details.
What is Coursera Plus?
Coursera Plus is a subscription offered by Coursera. With Coursera Plus, you don’t pay for each course individually–instead, you pay per month and take as many courses as you want. This subscription provides access to the majority of Coursera’s courses (over 7000 courses). Moreover, you get unlimited certificates for all the courses you complete.
Coursera Plus price
There are two pricing options: subscription per month or per year.
- Coursera Plus monthly payment is $59
- The cost of Coursera Plus per year is $399
As you see, it’s much cheaper to choose the second option–in this case, you save $300 (if you pay for Coursera Plus on a monthly basis, you’ll spend $708 per year).
There is also a 7-day free trial.
However, keep in mind that if you have existing subscriptions to Coursera Specializations, you need first to cancel them. Otherwise, you’ll be charged twice, for your Coursera Specialization and for a Coursera Plus subscription separately.
Coursera Plus courses
Coursera Plus subscription includes over 90% of all Coursera’s courses.
More specifically, here is what Coursera Plus provides:
- Access to 7,000+ courses and Specializations
- Access to over 1,000 applied projects
- Access to over 15 Professional Certificate programs
- Unlimited certificates, including courses, Projects, Specializations, or Professional Certificates.
However, Coursera Plus doesn’t include online degrees or MasterTrack programs, so you need to pay for them separately.
Here are some of the single courses, Specializations, and Professional Certificate included:
- Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate
- Google Project Management: Professional Certificate
- Meta Back-End Developer Professional Certificate
- Excel Skills for Business Specialization
- Mathematics for Machine Learning Specialization
- Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)
- SQL for Data Science
- The Science of Well-Being
- Learning How to Learn
- Successful Negotiation
- Financial Markets
Coursera Plus does not include programs offered by Stanford University, IBM, University of Virginia, Google – Spectrum Sharing, Cisco, deeplearning.ai, and some others.
For instance, these Professional Certificates are not available in Coursera Plus:
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate
- IBM AI Engineering Professional Certificate
- IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate
- IBM Customer Engagement Specialist Professional Certificate
- (ISC)² Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) Professional Certificate
- UCI Project Management Professional Certificate
To check the course you are interested in, go to a course page and check for the badge “Included with Coursera Plus” below the “Enroll” button. To see a complete list, go to this page.
Is Coursera Plus worth it?
Coursera Plus is a worthy option for a huge number of online learners. You’ll be better off in the following scenarios.
- You are planning to take more than one course per month or more than 10 per year and you want to get certificates upon completion. In this case, you will save money as each certificate costs around $50. However, if you usually take one-two courses per year, there is not much sense to buy the subscription.
- You want to take more than three Specializations or more than two Professional Certificates during a year. In this case, you’ll definitely spend more than $399 per year.
- You want to be able to switch between different programs and take courses simultaneously. This way, even a monthly Coursera Plus subscription is a good deal as you’ll save at least $20.
So, the Coursera Plus subscription is the best option for active learners who would like to complete many courses and be able to move between multiple courses at any time.
Coursera vs Coursera Plus
The main difference between Coursera and Coursera Plus is that they have different pricing approaches. As for a regular Coursera fee, you choose a course and pay for it–so it’s a course-based payment. Meanwhile, there are free courses where you need to pay for a certificate only (which is optional).
With Coursera Plus, you pay for the time period (month or year), and can take as many courses as you want. Moreover, you’ll be able to get unlimited certificates at no additional cost.
Coursera Plus is $59/mo or $399/year, whereas the regular Coursera fee varies. It’s free for a huge number of courses (with paid certificates), $39 /mo for a Specialization or Professional Certificate, or $2000 for a MasterTrack™ Certificate.
Coursera for Teams vs Coursera Plus
Coursera for Teams is a plan designed for a company or organization with a team of 5-25 people. Meanwhile, Coursera Plus is created for the individual. Coursera for Teams also provides additional tools for user management and messaging features, which are not available in Coursera Plus.
Both plans offer an annual subscription for the same for both plans–$399. However, unlike Coursera Plus, Coursera for Teams doesn’t have a monthly fee option.
Finally, Coursera for Teams gives access to 5,000+ courses, whereas Coursera Plus provides access to 7,000+ courses.
No, it includes 90% of all courses and doesn’t include online degrees or MasterTrack programs.
Coursera’s main pricing means paying for a chosen course, whereas with Coursera Plus, you pay per month/year and get almost unlimited access to courses.
The price of the subscription is $59/month or $399/year.