Excel and Google Spreadsheet is a basic skill today as it is needed for many jobs, from a sales manager to a data analyst. This tool is simple and very powerful at the same time as you can solve a bunch of issues in one place. This means that knowing what Excel has to offer would only benefit you and can help with career growth.
Why learn Excel and Google Spreadsheets
The main question you should always ask yourself is “Why do you need this?”; otherwise, your effort can be waste of time.
Excel is very useful for many tasks:
- Data storage (text-based or numerical data) – it allows to keep a different kind of information in one place and do different operations with this data.
- Data analysis – this tool offers a lot of functions to clean, filter, and modify the information so to get useful insights from it.
- Math – it offers a huge number of mathematical operations which you can perform with your data; and those operations can also be combined and automated in different ways.
- Visualization – with this tool, you can do different charts and graphs which provide visual answer to the data.
- Collaboration – with Google Spreadsheets (which is the main online alternative to traditional Excel), many people can work simultaneously on one task in one document.
Excel skills by levels
Let’s start with what skills describe each level of knowledge:
- Beginner. Basic formulas (SUM, IF, AVERAGE, MAX, etc), basic filtering and formatting, creating charts.
- Intermediate. Pivot tables, VLOOKUP, SUMIFS, INDEX MATCH, REGEX, importing data from external sources, Data Analysis Expressions (DAX).
- Advanced. Power Query (similar to SQL), Macros and VBA (programming in Excel), data modeling, and forecasting.
This classification would be helpful to understand what online Excel course is the best fit to improve your skills with this tool.
What are the best online classes for Excel?
Top General Excel Course
Best Excel for Data Analysis Classes
10 weeks (5 hrs/week)
4 weeks (2–4 hours per week)
Excel Power Tools for Data Analysis (working with Power Query and Power BI).
Best Google Sheets Classes
Best Advanced Excel Courses
Over 8 hours of video
Over 16 hours of video
Over 200 workbooks included
Best Data Visualization in Excel Courses
~ 15 hours to complete
Over 10 hours of video content
Yes, you can learn it for free with Youtube tutorials or by taking free online courses (free trials of paid courses). However, when you paid for a course, you might be more motivated to finish it.
You can learn the very basic Excel functions and formulas in a week but this time is not enough to gain deeper skills.